Saturday, September 20, 2008

Know how to treat contaminated water

Always use bottled water for drinking and cooking if it is available. Unsanitary water can be very dangerous to your health. If you don't know the level of purity of the water, it should always be treated. Use one or a combination of these treatments:

Boiling is the safest method of treating water. Bring water to a rolling boil for 3-5 minutes, keeping in mind that some water will evaporate. Let the water cool before drinking.

You can use household liquid bleach to kill microorganisms. Use only regular household liquid bleach that contains 5.25 percent sodium hypochlorite. Do not use scented bleaches, color-safe bleaches or bleaches with added cleaners. Add 16 drops of bleach per gallon of water stir and let stand for 30 minutes. If the water does not have a slight bleach odor, repeat the dosage and let stand another 15 minutes.

Flood water can also be contaminated by toxic chemicals. Do NOT try to treat flood water

Today's Assignment

Purchase 3 gallons of chlorine bleach ( non-scented) to add to your disaster supply.

No comments: