Sunday, September 21, 2008

Surviving Extreme Temperatures during a power outage

Surviving the Cold in a power outage

To avoid hypothermia during a power failure
  • wear multiple layers of clothing
  • keep moving as long as you have plenty of food and water

Burning wood or charcoal for heat or cooking produces a major source of carbon monoxide. Diesel or gasoline generators also produce carbon monoxide. Neither of these should be done in a closed shelter. Only burn wood in a proper fireplace or wood stove. Charcoal should never be burned inside the house or garage.

Never use stoves or ovens to heat a home. Carbon monoxide is formed when gas is burned in this manner and could lead to fatal carbon monoxide poisoning.

Surviving the heat in a power outage

Summer storms and high heat can cause a loss of power during the summer months. Without air conditioning, heat illness becomes a real threat. Water consumption will be higher in hot, humid conditions. Expect to drink a gallon of water per day per person during the summer.

The CDC recommends these steps for avoiding heat illness:

  • Drink a non-alcoholic glass of fluid every 15-20 minutes, at least one gallon each day.
  • Wear light-colored, loose-fitting clothing.
  • When indoors w/out air conditioning, open windows-if outdoor air quality permits-and use fans.
  • Take cool baths or showers.
  • If you feel dizzy, weak, or overheated, go to a cool place. sit or lie down, drink water, and wash your face with cool water. If you don't feel better soon, call 9-1-1
  • Work during cooler hours of the day when possible, or distribute the workload evenly throughout the day.

No comments: